Well folks, as is apparent, it may not be humanly possible for me to blog, take care of family, business and the ins and outs of daily life while remaining sane. So, I have been away. But, as always, I am back.....

It is amazing to have been away from the blog for many months and to now return, read the old posts and see how much life can change (not only for me but for those around me) in so short a space of time. Its actually shocking.

Mike and I are on a mission. Well as always we are on a number of missions, overachievers that we seem to be. However, our most recent plans and goals seem to be focused on a more simple lifestyle and a return to the basics. Its quite possible that once you feel you have achieved a certain status or a comfort level it is a more easy progression to begin to move away from that and in to a more simple, less material life. Maybe, it is new found education and health.

Maybe, we are just fed up with the way our children and the children in our community are developing into socially unaware beings that only have the capability to communicate via short hand text messaging and non human interaction. Dont get me wrong here. We feel proud to have raised decent children that seem to have a somewhat sensible grasp. But I would be remiss if I said we didnt feel some failure at the sight of the text hold, the lack of ability to be independent thinkers and the eating habits of our children.

Wow, that was a tangent (sp).

So, in all we have begun to focus on sustainable living, educating the children on social and economic truths and looking toward a future outside of the city. Our real first steps toward this include buying and eating only whole foods (and I dont mean the grocery store people!) and only buying and eating sustainably-raised meat, poultry and dairy products. Now, some of you are looking at the computer screen sideways. And you are undoubtedly wondering why on earth we would do this and how on earth we have time to worry about such things that may seem so trivial. I urge you to do 2 things:

Watch: Food Inc http://www.foodincmovie.com/

and read: http://www.michaelpollan.com/

Over the next year Mike and I (along with the children) will be traveling to sustainable farms all over California. Our first trip is the Barbarosa Ranchers this Thanksgiving Weekend. We will be learning about these farmers, how and why they do what they do and educating ourselves, our family and hopefully our community on the importance of sustainable living. I will be writing about our adventures and posting as much as I can.

Stay tuned.....